Sunday, March 28, 2010

SRAM Apex is sick!


Just when the snow melts and the sun warms the ground I get sick. Not just a little sick…stuck in bed, fever sweating, coughing like I swallowed poison sick…drat! Well…I tried to ride on Friday but that lasted about 3-miles and I turned back home. I know, I know…rest and let it pass. I know this just as well as the next person but when the sun is shining after a long winter it is so hard to listen. So what does a cycling junkie so when they are stuck at home not able to ride? Read cycling product manuals of course.

One of the new products I am very excited about is the new SRAM Apex 10-speed component group. This new family of components is aimed at eliminating the need for triple cranks on a bike in favor of a double with multiple cassette choices for a wide choice of gearing. The Apex group is labeled as “WiFli” for Wider, Faster and Lighter. It has higher and lower gearing than a triple, shifts quicker than a triple and it’s about 250-grams lighter than a triple.

For starters, there is two different rear derailleurs with a short cage (28t capacity) and mid-cage (32t capacity). To make life easier on our legs SRAM is offering 11-32, 11-28, 11-26 and 11-23 cassettes. The SRAM Apex crank is offered in 53/39, 52/38, 52/36 (my personal favorite), 50/36, 50/34 and 46/38 (cyclocross). This means you can set up Apex as a standard, compact, mega-compact and cyclocross gearing. Apex shifters are Double Tap/Zero Loss with hidden cables and reach adjust. The Apex family can do it all. My sources tell me there is great interest by big bike companies in the 50/34 with the wide gearing to take on everything the road can throw at you.

This is why I am such a huge fan of SRAM. They are aggressive in developing new technology that customers can afford (anyone price electric Dura-Ace or Campagnolos 11-speed Record recently?), they seem to know what the average riders needs and they do it with great style. It is for this reason that Tommaso Nation will see the SRAM Apex in the Tommaso line up this Summer! I feel better already.

No comments:

Post a Comment